Using Chat as a Customer
Last Updated -
IntroductionThe Chat Channel is enabled by default and allows your customers to start a chat with your Agents.
In this Article
- How customers initiate a chat
- What the chat looks like for a customer
- How customers can end a chat
In your Support Center there is a link on the right in the "Contact Us" section called "Live Chat!" This link takes you to the chat form that customers fill out to start a chat session.
How Customers Initiate a Chat
The URL for this page is: https://yourcompany.desk.com/customer/portal/chats/new
Chat WidgetWith Desk.com you also have a chat widget available to you. This is a little bit of code that you can add to your website that creates a button your customers use to initiate chat. The snippet of code is in Admin Panel > Channels > Email > Widget. For more details on the Desk.com chat widget, see How do I add a chat form to my site?
Chat from Customer Perspective
- Customers can write a new message and then send it to the Agent.
- The chat history is displayed here. This shows each message, who sent it, and when.
- Customer can end the chat by clicking on "End chat" or closing the window. The total time for the chat session is presented here as well.