How do I Customize the Layout Section of My Support Center?
Last Updated -
Note: This FAQ refers to the Advanced Theme Editor. For a step by step guide on how to edit elements of your Layout Page, as well as all other pages on your Support Center, please click here.
The Layout section is located in Admin > Channels > Support Center > Web Themes > Edit Web Theme > Advanced Themes > Layout. Use the Layout Section of the Advanced Theme editor to set the general layout of every Support Center page. You will most likely use this area to set up the general structure of your page design or manipulate changes that appear on every page.
- Administrator access level or above.
- Understanding of HTML and/or CSS.
- Familiarity with Liquid to easily customize the appearance of Desk.com Support Center. For more information about Liquid, see List of Liquid Variables.
Here are a few general tips and considerations for the layout section:
- You can use the layout section to include areas such as a header or footer that you want to repeat on every page - this makes the customization process much faster
- The default layout section contains the Search widget; if you'd like to customize them, you can do so here.
Example: providing a link to a specific topic in the sidebar
If you have topic information that your customers don't always use, you can create a specific list of topics that appears in the sidebar of your Support Center to share valuable content your customers might have missed; in this case - the contents of a specific topic.
Use a for loop function in Liquid and some html layout to create this "teaser" in the "support-side" div of the layout section to write out the name and link of the first article in the "Hello World" topic, e.g.,:
Sidebar code in Advanced Themes: