Creating a Video Support Center
Last Updated -
You may have noticed Desk's Video Support center, featuring a playlist with categories and a video player. How did we do it? Using Desk Brands, Topics, Articles, and a bit of clever templating code!
We wanted to publish a basic guide with sample code for customers interested in building a similar experience. This guide assumes you're already familiar with the Desk Admin and comfortable creating a custom web theme with the sample code we provided.
- Create a brand called "Video Support".
- For every category of video you'd like to have (i.e. Product Overviews, How To, Community Videos), create a topic.
- For every video you have, create an article. In the body of the article, put the video description, or leave the article body blank.
- In the keywords of the article, use one of the following:
- YouTube: yid=cNJmMqE_Io4, any other keyword I want, anything, example
- Vimeo: vid=102675116, any other keyword I want, example, video, test
- Create a new web theme named "Video Brand" in your "Video Support" brand.
- Edit your new web theme video Advanced Themes editor, switch to "Page (Index)" section, and paste in this sample code.
- Save and preview
At this point, you should have a simple, working Video Support portal. From here, you can add styling to better match your brand or, if you're feeling ambitious and want a single code base for your support center, you can work this code into your existing shared web theme with some supporting liquid conditional logic.