Custom Fields for Case and Customer
Last Updated -
Desk.com allows you to create custom fields so you can capture the specific data you need from your customers. You are allowed up to 25 custom fields for the customer and up to 50 custom fields for the case itself. You can use these custom fields to store and retrieve information for the customer and case.
There are a few differences between Case custom fields and Customer custom fields:
- Case: Custom fields can show in the Case Details panel, used to define Case Filters and determine if a Business Rule is applied to a case.
- Customer: Custom fields can show in the Customer Details panel, used to define Case Filters and determine if a Business Rule is applied to a case. These fields can also be exposed inside of the customer's current case.
Create a custom field
- Go to Admin > Cases > Cases or Customers > Custom Field. In this example, we will create a Customer Custom Field.
- Click + Add Custom Field button and you will be presented with the New Custom Customer Field interface.
Here are the descriptions of the field names and data types used in Custom Fields in Desk.com:
- Key: The key is used when adding fields to the Case Tab Template or Customer Tab Template. Keys for custom case fields can also be used to define keyword searches for Case Filters.
Note: the best practice is to use an abbreviated description of the field's intended purpose (The key can not contain spaces and is used for referencing this field from elsewhere in Desk.com).
- Data Type: the data type sets the type of information stored in the field and how an agent can edit it. The available field types are:
- Text - 100 character max
When list is selected, you must define the valid values
- Enabled:If a custom field is disabled, it will not be displayed to your agents. If enabled, it will be displayed.
Note: Enabled Custom Fields are automatically displayed to the agent when using the "System Template".
Using custom fields
Custom fields, are best suited for information storage and are best applied with the following guidelines:
- Structured Choices: Give your agents a structured set of options to choose from when they’re responding to cases. This prevents ambiguity and encourages a uniform support processes.
- Automated Actions: Structured custom fields allow you to set up automatic actions on cases based on particular values in custom fields.
- Reporting: Custom Fields support the ability to make informed decisions based on the data you’re capturing. Storing this information in custom fields allows for simple reporting and insights into the types of changes your organization should be making.
- How to Show Information to Your Agents in a Case Template
- Searching for Customer Fields
- Using Custom Case Fields in Filters
- Using Custom Fields Throughout the Product
Note: The feature(s) in this article requires the Standard Pricing Plan or above. To upgrade your account, log in to the Admin panel and click "Billing" on the right. See the overview of our pricing page or reach out to Sales for more info.