Creating Case Filters (Classic)
Last Updated -
Desk.com lets you use filters to organize your service and create work "queues" for different teams or specialities. Your account is set up with several default filters, but you can easily create your own as well (with the correct admin permissions).
In this article
What are Case Filters?
A filter is a real-time view or grouping of cases that meet certain criteria. The same case can fit into the criteria of multiple filters and be displayed in multiple filters. The number next to the filter name is the number of cases matching the filter criteria.
Filters should be tailored for specific purposes. For example, filters can be created to show cases assigned to different groups or agents, high priority or VIP cases, cases by the status (New or Open cases), etc. Filter permissions can also be set to control which filters are visible to specific agents or groups.
2 . Give the filter a name and a description, then click Add.
3. When adding a filter, there are several fields to configure. See the terms below for information on each field:
- Name - The display name in the Agent console.
- Description - The description of the filter to display in the Admin filter list.
- Keywords - Includes specific cases in the filter based on keywords. Limits filters by text fields including the case subject, description, and custom fields. For more information on keyword syntax, see Keyword Search Syntax.
- Add 'All' Condition - Defines conditions specific to cases included in this filter. For multiple conditions that must be true at once, set All conditions. For more information see Rule Conditions.
- Add 'Any' Condition - Defines conditions specific to cases included in this filter. For conditions that are one OR the other, set Any conditions.
- Default Sort - Chooses the default order to sort cases within a filter.
- Permission to this Filter - Selects who can view this filter. Note that this defines who can view the filter, but cases within the filter are still viewable to those without permission to the filter by other means, such as through search.
- Allow Routing - Allows an Agent to start/stop routing for this filter. Cases are routed bases on the filter's sort order and conditions. For more info, see Using Filter-Based Routing.
- Enabled - Enables the filter for use in the agent console.
5. When you choose a condition, a dropdown becomes available. The options in the dropdown vary, depending on your previous choices in the condition.
6. Configure the settings for Default Sort (how you want the cases organized) and Grouping.
7. Verify the filter you have created by getting a preview of the cases that would match the filter's criteria. Click Update, then Save and Review. You will see a selection of case types that will be shown in the filter.
8. Enable the filter before publishing it to users on the system, then click Update.
Note: The order that filters appear in the agent console is configurable from the Admin. Next to each filter is its list number. You can drag and drop the filter to a different position, or enter a number for its position in the filter list.
Opening Cases from a Filter
In this example, when clicking on the “Inbox” filter, all unresolved cases that have a new, open or pending status are displayed here.
1. Click on a filter on the left side of the screen to display all the cases that meet the criteria defined by the filter.
2. To open a case in a filter, simply click on the Subject Line of the case, and it will open in a new tab. From there you can answer. You can also Control + Click (or Command + Click) to open multiple cases at once from the filter view.
Desk.com provides several filters out of the box to get you started with organizing your cases into meaningful filters to help your agents be efficient with handling customer support requests.
- Inbox - This filter shows all unresolved cases that are new, open or pending.
- All Cases - This filter shows all cases in any state.
- My Cases - This filter shows all unresolved cases assigned to you.
- Unassigned Cases - All unassigned cases with a status of 'New' or 'Open' or 'Pending'.
- My Group's Unresolved Cases - All cases that are assigned to me or my groups that are new, open, or pending.
- All Unresolved Cases - All cases that are new, open, or pending.
- Recently Updated Cases - All cases assigned to me or my groups that are new, open or pending updated in last 24 hours.
- Aging Pending Cases (>3 Days) - All cases with a status of 'Pending' that have been pending for more than 3 days.
- Outbox - This filter shows all cases that are waiting to be sent or have a sending error.