How to Export your Desk.com Data
Last Updated -
You have 3 options to export your Desk.com data to CSV. In this article, we'll review each option's pros and cons.
Using the Desk API All Data Technical
Using the Desk API, you can access all your data, from customer data to macros, as well as all attachments. However, a developer will be required to leverage the API to export your data. Check out are developer documentation here to get started.
Using Desk Migration Wizard Core Data Only User Friendly
We have created a Salesforce-powered app ("Desk Migration Wizard") to make it easy to both import your Desk.com data to Salesforce and export it to CSV. The Wizard is able to import/export companies, customers, cases, emails, notes, and attachments up to 8mb. Here is how:
- Create a Desk to Service Cloud Trial [Link]
- Login to your new org, and go to Setup → Permission Sets
- Click into Desk Migration (if there are two, click into the one with both Del and Clone options)
- In the Apps section, click into App Permissions
- At the top, click Edit
- In the Content section, enable "Query All Files" option
- At the top, click Save
- Open the App Launcher and click into Desk Migration Wizard
- Run the Wizard to import all of your Desk data into the org [Documentation]
- When the Wizard has completed, go to Setup → Data Export
- Enable "Include images, documents, and attachments" option
- Enable "Include Salesforce Files and Salesforce CRM Content document versions" option
- Under the "Exported Data" heading, select "Include all data"
- Click Start Export
You'll receive an email when the export is ready. The export is in CSV format and will include attachments up to 8mb. Note that Desk data exporting in this way may be modified during import/export to satisfy Salesforce data integrity requirements.
|EmailMessage.csv||Your case interactions (e.g. emails)|
|CaseComment.csv||Your case internal notes|
|ContentVersion.csv||Your case and knowledge attachment metadata|
|ContentVersion (Folder)||Actual attachment files|
If you don't have the technical resources to use our free API, we can help with a complimentary one-time CSV export of your Desk case data. You can view a sample export by clicking here. We are unable to customize or modify this standard export. If interested in this one-time complimentary export, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and confirm the following:
Requesting a Complimentary Export Core Data Only Long Lead Time One Time Only
- If you're moving away from Desk, please confirm if you'll be migrating to Service Cloud or to another platform
- The URL to your Desk site
- The email address of a billing administrator of your Desk site who will be appointed as the recipient of the encrypted data export
- When to run the export (we will run and deliver your data export as soon as possible, otherwise you may request a scheduled date/time at least three days in advance and we will do our best to accommodate)
- Data Loader format required? (If using Data Loader tool for migration to Service Cloud)
- Public Key for encryption attached/uploaded? (See below for Public Key creation steps)
After the export completes, we will encrypt and upload your data for the billing administrator specified in step #2 above to download and decrypt. Please have your appointed billing administrator follow the steps detailed here to prepare for download and decryption and let us know once you have created your public key. You will need to follow the steps in the instructions to either (1) upload your public key so we can look you up by email address, or (2) export your public key and provide it as an email attachment with your reply. We will not be able to proceed with the export until we receive confirmation that your public key is available.
Once confirmation is received, the Desk support team will then file a data export request on your behalf. Based on the current backlog of requests, the current estimated turnaround time is 14 business days. A member of the Desk team will reach out to provide an encrypted link for you to download your data export.
NOTE: Please be aware that the encrypted download link for your data export will automatically expire within 7 days once you receive it, at which point the exported data will be deleted from our storage service.*
In the event that your export data is large enough that you are unable to download due to connection issues or file size, please coordinate with an IT resource in your organization to ensure you are able to download a copy of the data before it expires.