How to update the contact support form in Service Cloud Communities using a global action
Last Updated -
This article will explain how to set up a Global action for your community.
1. Click the large gear icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen and select Setup.
2. In the Quick Find box type "Global Action" and hit enter. Or you can go to Platform Tools→User Interface→Global Actions and select Global Actions.
3. Click New Action.
Set your fields as shown below:
5. Set the Action Type = Create a Record.
6. Set the Target Object = Case.
7. Set the Record type if applicable or select Master.
8. Set the standard label Type = New [Record]
9. Give it a descriptive label, name, and description.
10. Save the Global Action.
If you are not concerned about guest users, please skip to step 11.
Note regarding guest users: If you plan on having a different form for guest users than you use for logged in users, you should repeat steps 5-10 giving it another descriptive label, name, and description in step 9 for the guest user form. Also you would want to repeat step 11 for each form.
11. Once you save it, this will lead you to the Global action detail page. If you wanted to modify the case fields on your form, click the "Edit Layout" button.
From here you can edit the layout.
If you want to remove fields, you can click the field on the form and select the minus sign to delete it.
If you want to add fields, find the tile in the field picker at the top and drag it to the bottom.
You can also reorder the fields on the form using drag and drop.
Once done, click Save.
We recommend that you have at least the Web Name, Web Email, Subject and Description fields on your form. From there you can add any custom fields that you need.
Please note that if you remove the Status field , you will get prompted with a message like this when you save:
You can click the Yes button. By default the case will be submitted as New.
Now lets go back and update the New Case Global Object on our Community.
12. Click the word Setup above Object Manager to get back to the setup menu.
Or click the large gear icon in the upper right.
13. Then type All Communities in the quick find box.
14. Then click on Builder next to the community that you want to edit.
15. In the upper left, there is a gear icon next to the word Home. Click the carat next to the gear icon and select Contact Support.
13. Click the "Page Structure" icon, and go to Content and then Contact Support Form.
14. You will see a floating window appear.
15. Click on Authenticated users, and select your Global Action from the list.
Once you select the global action, you should see the form render on the page.
16. If you want to allow your portal users to submit file, check the "Attach Files" checkbox, and if needed rename the link .
If you are not concerned about guest users, please skip to step 17.
Note regarding guest users:
You could also do this for Guest users as well. Click on the Configure Global Actions for Guest Users link. Not that this will open in another browser tab or window.
On the configuration screen, make sure that the Guest Access to the Support API checkbox is checked, and that you have Selected your Guest user quick action that you may have defined earlier (see the Note regarding guest users after step 10.) Then Save.
Then close the browser tab or window for the configuration screen.
21. Go back to the builder the builder and go back to the Guest user Global Action drop down list. You should be able to select the global action for the guest user.
15. Preview and then Publish your theme.
You should see the respective form now appearing for both the logged in users and also for a guest user.
Test as both a logged in and guest user by submitting a case and looking at it in the Service Console in the All Cases list view as an Agent.