Creating Case Filters (NGA)
Last Updated -
Desk filters groups and displays cases using criteria specified by the Desk admin. Filters use the specified criteria and organize cases into queues. A Desk account is equipped with several default filters under Admin > Cases > Filters. Create and manage new filters in the Admin console.
Note: This article references the Next Generation Agent console and not the Classic Agent console. For more information on the Classic Agent console please refer to Creating Case Filters (Classic). You can also watch the video, Creating Case Filters with Desk.com.
Create a Filter
- Go to Admin > Cases > Filters > Add Filter
- Give the filter a name and a description, then click Add
- When adding a filter, there are several fields to configure. See the terms below for information on each field:
- Name - The display name in the Agent console.
- Description - The description of the filter to display in the Admin filter list.
- Keywords - Includes specific cases in the filter based on keywords. Limits filters by text fields including the case subject, description, and custom fields. For more information on keyword syntax, see Keyword Search Syntax.
- Add 'All' Condition - Defines conditions specific to cases included in this filter. For multiple conditions that must be true at once, set All conditions. For more information see Rule Conditions.
- Add 'Any' Condition - Defines conditions specific to cases included in this filter. For conditions that are one OR the other, set Any conditions.
- Default Sort - Chooses the default order to sort cases within a filter.
- Permission to this Filter - Selects who can view this filter. Note that this defines who can view the filter, but cases within the filter are still viewable to those without permission to the filter by other means, such as through search.
- Allow Routing - Allows an Agent to start/stop routing for this filter. Cases are routed bases on the filter's sort order and conditions. For more info, see Using Filter-Based Routing.
- Enabled - Enables the filter for use in the agent console.
- Set the conditions for the filter. You can add multiple conditions to a single case filter. If you have multiple conditions that must all be true at once, set All conditions. If you have conditions that are one OR the other, set Any conditions.
- When you choose a condition, a dropdown becomes available. The options in the dropdown vary, depending on your previous choices in the condition.
- Configure the settings for Default Sort (how you want the cases organized) and Grouping.
- Verify the filter you have created by getting a preview of the cases that would match the filter's criteria. Click Update, then Save and Review. You will see a selection of case types that will be shown in the filter.
- Enable the filter before publishing it to users on the system, then click Update.
Change Order of FiltersThe order that filters appear in the agent console is configurable from the Admin. Next to each filter is its list number. You can drag and drop the filter to a different position, or enter a number for its position in the filter list.