Configure SMTP Servers to Send Email with an Outbound Mailbox
To send outbound emails to customers in Desk.com, you need to configure an outbound mailbox. If you're using Gmail, this will be handled for you when you connect the Email Channel to a Gmail or Google Apps Mailbox. If you're using a different service to send your mail such as Google Apps, Yahoo, or Rackspace (often called an SMTP server), you need to configure an Outbound Mailbox in Desk.com.
Configure Outbound Email for Desk.com for SMTP Servers
- Go to Admin > Settings > Outbound Mailboxes > + Add Mailbox. Or you can edit your existing mailbox by clicking the gear symbol.
- When prompted by the Add New Outbound Mailbox dialog box, click on the option at the bottom to use your own server.
- Enter your Outbound Mailbox details:
- From Name: Friendly name to display to the customer
- From Email: Reply-to address
- SMTP Host: Server that will send the email
- SMTP Port: Port to connect to the email server
- Use SSL: Encrypt the email when sent to the email server (usually a different port)
- SMTP Auth: Method for authentication (almost always Login)
- Username: Login is typically the full email address (Example: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password: Password is typically the same as the password to retrieve the email.
- Default SMTP Port is 25. As a result of abuse, many ISPs have changed the port. Port 587 is now a common alternative.
- If connecting to your SMTP server over SSL, the standard port is 465.
SMTP HOST: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP HOST: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
SMTP HOST: secure.emailsrvr.com
USE SSL: Checked
SMTP Auth: Login
- If you need to configure forwarded and aliased emails, please review this article: Configuring forwarded and aliased email accounts.
Did you find this article helpful?